Friday, May 30, 2008

My hometown, as seen through Webfeat

The articles on my hometown, Greendale Wisconsin, split between two different subjects. One was the McCain visit to a local high school, and the other was about Main St. and the fact that it’s owned by a publishing company. Yep, all the businesses and commercial property on Main St are owned by Reiman Publishing, some of whose titles PBCLS owns.

To be fair, Main St. as envisioned by Mr. Reiman is picturesque, with small shops, landscaped light poles, a gazebo and not a scrap of litter on the ground. However, to find a sign off I-94 directing drivers to “downtown Greendale” is a bit… weird. The hardware store that I grew up with is now an ice cream “shoppe” and the corner liquor store is now the visitor’s center. My small, sleepy, familiar village has become a tourist attraction.

Of course, I knew all this and was not surprised to see the fact so well documented through Webfeat. Webfeat so far is a great tool that I have demonstrated to many patrons needing articles for school projects, and other patrons who preferred their information digitally delivered, instead of from a good old-fashioned book.

No comments: